Sunday, August 21, 2005

Sunday night. 80's TV. Alcohol

Tonight I watched the final episode of Magnum P.I., Resolutions (2), which originally aired May 1, 1988. My DVR records every Magnum episode and I've seen this finale at least three or four times already. In fact, I've seen the entire series, beginning to end, a few times. The local channel that runs the show nightly is starting over with the first episode tomorrow. And I'll watch 'em all again because it's a great show and, let's face it, I'm a loser.

If you read this site regularly (there's only about three of you), you know that two of my favorite shows from the 80's are Magnum P.I. and MacGyver. Since both these shows still live on in syndication, I am able to get drunk and watch them regularly (I just took a few minutes to pour myself a whiskey.)

Both series, coincidently, ended with the main characters being united with a child they didn't know they had or, in Magnum's situation, recently learned they had.

Magnum later would later retire from the private investigator business, move in with Steve Guttenberg and Ted Danson and raise a child with them.

Sweet, Knight Rider is on now. That's no surprise though, as my DVR records that show too.

5 COMMENTS:

Anonymous said...

OK, I'll bite: What channel is it on?

Wirthy said...

Maricopa Mark, if you have COX cable and get the same channels as the Phoenix area, it's on channel 13 every weeknight at 9pm.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I think that's KTAZ. Not sure we get that one down here in Mayberry. We have Orbitel cable.

No, I had never heard of them before either.

PC said...

I use to be a big Magnum fan when I was like, what, 12?

Anyway... I always had an issue with how I remember it ending.

Didn't Higgens turn out to be Robin Masters, the always unseen owner of the estate. Higgens was hiding his identity in the end?

But, in the beginning of the series, didn't Magnum win the right to occupy the guest house in a poker game with Robin Masters? So, Magnum would know what Robin Masters looked like, right?

Maybe I'm remembering it all wrong.

Wirthy said...

In the final episode, Higgins confirms Magnum's longtime hunch that he is indeed Robin Masters.

However, in the final scene he tells Magnum that he lied about the confession.

So, in the end, we still don't know the truth.