Thursday, October 06, 2005

The lesson learned

Tonight I learned an important lesson: to be happy with the things I have.

Yesterday a friend bought a 61" widescreen, high-definition TV. It is quite impressive. I jokingly commented that I hoped something would go wrong with my TV so I could get a new one. Mine is only a 52".

Tonight while flipping through channels, my screen became distorted and I lost the video. I turned the TV and cable box off and on repeatedly...nothing. I reconnected all my cables...nothing. Kicked it and swore numerous times...nothing.

I began to worry. I was just joking about wanting a new TV. I can't afford to shell out that kind of cash right now.

I called the cable company and they rebooted my DVR/cable box. Nervously, I waited while it went through its process. Was the problem just my DVR or was it my TV? Would I be able to save last week's "O.C." episode which I hadn't watched yet?

Finally, the box came to life. I turned on the TV and (anticipation) everything was back to normal (sigh of relief).

This scare taught me a lesson. A 52" TV is pretty nice. I mean, there are some people who only have a 32" set or, worse yet, a 27". I now appreciate the things I have.

Now if only my car wasn't such a piece of shit.

4 COMMENTS:

Wirthy said...

Holy shit, thought & humor! I have no idea what you're talking about.

Anonymous said...

My 46" went (kinda) casters-up a month or so back. The video would slowly fade out and all I could do was turn it off and after a few hours it would work again. For a while. So, like you I didn't want to spend fundage on a new tv but one night I had enough beer in me and the damned thing quit. Off to Sears for a new one.

All I could find was HDTV. I didn't know anything about HDTV but given that there were no other choices I bought one (again a 46"). It's great for movies because it will auto-adjust the aspect ration but if you expect to watch broadcast HDTV you'll need to be prepared to pay for the additional HD channels (suprize!). I don't have COX down here in Mayberry but I don't figure COX has many more than the 5 HD channels I can get.

For my money, I'd keep the 4x3 ratio set as long as possible because the only replacement you'll find is HD with it's 16x9 (I think) ration. Sure you can still watch regular TV but the screen will be stretched; everyone's fat! This really ruins the "Tyra Banks Show" for me.

Chickie said...

Damn, be careful what you wish for!

Anonymous said...

Hey Wirthy, when did you get a Sugar Daddy?