Friday, December 02, 2005

Today in history

1949 - Gene Autry's song "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer," hit the record charts. The song starts with these lyrics:

You know Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen,
Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzen,
But do you recall the most famous reindeer of all?


I've always had a problem with this. The song assume that I know Prancer, Blitzen and the rest of the second-tier reindeer and then asks if I'm aware of the most famous of all the reindeer.

What the hell? How is it that I would know who the fuck Donner is but have no clue about Rudolph. That's like saying I am a big fan of George Harrison but who is this John Lennon people are talking about?


1981 - Britney Spears was born, setting off an unfortunate chain of events that would eventually introduce the world to this guy:



2 COMMENTS:

Christina said...

My dad, who may or may not be one of the strangest people on the planet (and incidentally looks alarmingly more and more like Kenny Rogers with each passing day), has always said "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer" by Gene Autry is his all time favorite song. Not just his favorite Christmas song, but his favorite song. No Rolling Stones, no Beatles, no Dylan. He's a Rudolph fan, through and through. Like I said, he's weird.

Arbusto said...

I hate Christmas music.

I hate Kevin Federline for taking my girl.

On my birthday, I expect a "today in history"